Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wedding Rant: Reception Annoyances

Every girl is a princess on her wedding day, and every groom a prince. They dress up in extraordinarily expensive clothing, participate in sacred vows, and then get to oversee their minions at the feast with eighteen of their closest friends. Then they get to dance wildly late into the night.

*Gag, Barf*

Head tables are overrated. I don't necessarily mind the idea of a head table for the bride and groom, a table set elevated or aside for the two of them. It's the mile-long table that bothers me. I can't stand it when the bridesmaids and groomsmen have to sit there looking bored, waiting for their speeches, waiting to go back to when the bride and groom weren't the most important thing in their lives. Furthermore, I hate it when people get separated from their loved ones at weddings. I'm going to put the head table concept into terms of my own wedding so it makes more sense what I mean:

Our head table consisted of my sister, myself, The Man, and his brother. Both my sister and his brother were single (until right before the wedding when my sister met a great guy). All of our other attendants are married already. Instead of putting Bridesmaids 2 and 3 up on the stage with us, thereby separating them from their husbands--who knew NO ONE, we elected to have them all sit at a table together. Groomsmen 2 and 3 sat with their wives as well. My sister's new boyfriend sat with both sets of parents at their table, and we didn't force my sister to sit on the stage throughout the reception either. It was incredibly important to me to not make those accessory individuals be left out and bored, and we wanted our closest friends to be with their husbands and wives! I consider the only possible exception to this rule as sibling privilege. On my sister's wedding day, she can ask me to sit next to her and her groom without The Man being at the table. Friends might get mad and back out, but siblings HAVE to stick it out. It's a rule.

I generally dislike DJs and big flashy sound systems next to cheap pull-apart dance floors. For an average, ordinary wedding they're fine! But for dancers, DJs and pull-apart floors are awful. DJs typically don't understand what music can be danced to and what can't. Those floors hurt feet, catch toes, pinch flesh, and are a huge pain to dance on. They're only an improvement above gravel. Speaking of dancing at weddings, the bunny hop, Macarena, money dance, and conga lines can all be done away with. I've never seen any sober human being actually enjoy doing these dances.

Lastly, the receiving line. The order for a receiving line is really up to the couple, but it should only include up to six people: the bride, the groom, and their four parents. Step-parents shouldn't be in the line unless they are hosting the event. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Look up the receiving line etiquette if you don't believe me, but I can't stand shaking that many hands.

1 comment:

cm0978 said...

I agree with you about having a short receiving line. What do you say to the 18 attendants? It's really only the bride, groom and parents who are congratulated. Likewise, the attendants don't care to meet the cousin twice removed or the groom's father's best friend.