Monday, March 22, 2010

Catholics DO Use the Bible

I am an expert at tying french knots after my embroidery project today. They ended up being a lot easier by the end. I whipped out the last dozen in just a few minutes. Hopefully the knots on the back of the fabric will hold. One towel down, four to go!

I'm also learning a lot more than I expected from our current Lenten reading. One of the biggest myths I encountered on my journey to Catholicism is that Catholics don't read their bibles, don't have daily "devotions," and don't use the Bible at Mass. All three of those couldn't be farther from the truth. The author of our current book goes into detail about how evangelicals (specifically, though other faiths are as guilty) promote the no-bible idea against Catholics and how completely unfounded it is. I'm not usually one to want to "stick it to the other side," seeing that I've lived on both sides of the Christian perspective--and respect both sides, but every once in a while it feels good to be vindicated (not self-righteously, just in a mythbusting way).

Finally, while I stitched tonight, I watched The Man play more of Metal Gear Solid 4. I watched someone else play the first three games, and while I find it slightly weird to watch someone play a video game instead of playing it myself, I would rather watch MGS than play. I'm so over the cut scenes, but that's how the game goes.

Off to eat more muffins!

1 comment:

nikkster74 said...

Hello! I'm in Scotland. i like your blog. it's got a lot of sense in it. As an evangelical protestant sort of Christian, agree with you that some people in Christian faith can be very quick to point out this or that, that they know little about. Sorry this happens. your comments about not speaking but acting out the gospel are right. One day the opportunity to share the message of salvation might come along, & you need to take the chance to tell someone the stuff you believe - but mainly pray & wait for the person to ask you! It's Gos's spirit who does the prep work. cheerio