Sunday, April 18, 2010

Crafted my Weekend Away

After feeling crappy Friday evening, I woke up with determination and inspiration for Saturday. I'd visited three craft stores, filled my car with gas, and got the week's groceries by noon. Total spent on crafting supplies: $15.00. Not bad! I'd planned to get some wood forms, tile, and grout to make a holy water font to go by the front door, but the wood forms were awful, the tile ugly, and the entire project waaaaaay out of my price range for this month. Plus Michael's had such a long line I just put the few things I thought I wanted back and left emptyhanded. No point in waiting that long for stuff I didn't really need. I picked up three yards of fabric from JoAnn's and some brads from Creative Crafts.

Just after noon and lunch, I set out crafting. I'll post the instructions and some photos tomorrow for the organza flower garland. It's quite amazing. After burning myself several times over the flame, melting the fabric to my finger once, and six more hours of flaming, I quit for dinner. We went for a walk, showered, and sat down for a movie. I convinced The Man that he needed to see a new TV show on ABC, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. Having seen the first five episodes now, I'm absolutely convinced that today's kids are eating garbage, that Jamie's really trying to change the world, and that we should all do more to stand behind his cause. Sure, I bet Corvallis is right on track feeding it's public school kids all sorts of organic food, seeing that this town is so stuck up it makes me want to vomit. Nevertheless, there are plenty of Oregon schools who could do much better to feed kids local food. Jamie's chicken nugget demonstration cured me of ever wanting those again. I went to bed on an empty stomach.

Sunday saw the conclusion of my burning fabric project. I tacked everything together and assembled the vine of flowers. It looks really, really pretty above my kitchen sink! By 10:00am, I'd finished three loads of laundry, made a batch of cookies, and picked up the apartment. After lunch, The Man and I curled up on the couch and took a nap together (aww!). I had amazing dreams of flying kites and dancing through wildflower fields... much better than my Excedrin-induced dreams which usually scare the heck outta me.

Homemade mac and cheese for dinner, showers, and off to Mass this evening. I might even get to spend some time embroidering before bed! I love crafty weekends. They make life so much better.

1 comment:

That corgi :) said...

sounds like a wonderful weekend doing a bit of this and that, but most importantly things that you enjoyed doing! never been to Corvallis but we did live in Medford for 5 years from 1987 to 1992; so pretty up there

hope the week ahead is a good one

betty