Thursday, April 22, 2010

Facebook: DISLIKE

I've had a Facebook account since 2005. Back then, the only people that could see my profile were the six friends I had at OSU. Nobody outside of OSU could even find me. I had a profile picture, a few pieces of information, and a status that began with "Jaggy is..."

Today, I believe I have finally seen the end for Facebook. No longer will I allow my information to be distributed without my express permission. No longer will I stand and watch my profile change and settings switch behind the scenes. And not one more time will I be forced to link to something I didn't intend to be linked to.

Facebook, old friend, I do not want you to take my favorite TV shows and link my profile to pages that share my preferences with the world. If I liked JAG way back when, that's my business. If I wrote that I liked JAG on my Facebook profile, then it was my business and any of my friends that I decided could see I enjoyed that TV show. Now, if I put JAG as a favorite TV show, my profile contains a link to a JAG page with thousands of other people capable of communicating with me. No thanks.

And the worst part: I tried removing all of these things I'd listed as favorite TV shows or activities and Facebook wouldn't let me!!! I had to select at least one option for my profile to be saved. I removed as much as I could, typed in something to the effect of, "My interests are things that I generally enjoy doing, but if I list them here, then Facebook will create a page for each of them." And then Facebook created a page for that title. Without my permission. And I can't not have something in those boxes.

If I choose to share information, that's my business. If I choose to participate on Facebook, that's my business and maybe a few other peoples' business. But if I "like" something my sister says, I don't really want that broadcast around the world thankyouverymuch. So I will stop liking things. I will stop posting information unless I can determine who sees it.

The Dislike Button starts right here, right now: Facebook = Dislike.

6 comments:

That corgi :) said...

I don't like Facebook. I tried it, didn't like how everyone that were my friends could read what people wrote on my wall or people could read what I wrote on my friends' wall. So I got rid of it; I keep it for two friends that I keep in touch with through it, but I kicked everyone off of it, even family members. This year is my 35th high school reunion and I had listed on my profile the high school I had gone to and now lots of former classmates want to be-friend me. Interestingly, a lot of those people weren't my friends during high school and didn't want anything to do with me.......

wise choice you are making

betty

MissKris said...

My friend Vicki posted this copy/paste I'll put at the end of my comment...It might help you if you haven't figured this out yet. I hadn't!!! I never check that stuff in my Profile. I tried copying and pasting it to my page this morning and it wouldn't let me...either that, or it's unbelievably slow as always. I am SOOOOOOO not in love with FB, too...never have been. But it seems to have taken over where emails left off. People get lazier and lazier and, even as convenient as email is, they're more apt to post a quick comment instead. My communicating with friends/loved ones has always been so one-sided, anyway...I love to write, they don't...but if I deactivate my FB account it's "Where did you disappear to? Come back!" Drives me nuts. But I am really contemplating seriously about getting rid of it, too. How dare the people behind it doing such sneaky and underhanded stuff!!!! I'm sure glad I don't have my 'private' email address or my blog on there...sheeeeeeeeesh.

Here's the copy/paste, if you haven't deactivated yet:

FACEBOOKERS fb is at it again...violating your personal information: As of today, there is a new privacy setting called "Instant Personalization" that shares data with non-facebook websites and it is automatically set to "Allow." Go to Account > Privacy Settings > Applications and Websites and uncheck "Allow"--it's at the bottom of the page. Please copy & repost....

MissKris said...

And what ESPECIALLY irritates me is you can't 'delete' your account, you can only 'deactivate' it. Another thing I heard is if you put anything you've written on there, ie poetry or whatever, they get the copyrights to it. That soured me as well. I went ahead and deactivated it this morning. I think THIS time I've truly had my fill. Plus, with the little bit of computer time I have on here anyway, it was a huge distraction. Already I can feel the stress leaving.

Anonymous said...

I had facebook when I was in school, not sure why I did it at the time. I jokingly called it stalker net, the longer I had my account I soon learned thats exactly what it was becoming. I got tired of all the new and so called improved changes and quickly got rid of face book. Reading the stuff you posted about and what the other 2 comments said, makes me all the more happy I got rid of it YEARS ago.

Skunk said...

Bottom line is if you don't like what it is, then leave FB. No one is making have a profile. Otherwise, you don't have much choice other than putting up with what the creators are making of it. If enough people hate it so much they leave it, THEN FB might start listening, otherwise you are still supporting them my maintaining a profile.

Skunk said...

Damn, when I make that many typos in a post and I'm too tired to catch them--make me re-write my post!

Grrr... How I hate typos, especially when I am the one making them!