Monday, April 26, 2010

Lord, Save Me From Your Followers

The Man and I watched an incredible documentary this weekend. I was a bit skeptical just based on the title, and he was almost completely opposed to watching it. I promised that if the first ten minutes were so bad that we could turn the documentary off. We watched the whole thing. It was great!

The people who get turned off by the title are exactly the type of people who need to see the documentary! The followers of Christ--Christians--don't always act very Christ-like to outsiders (or even their own families). Those outward actions give Christians everywhere a bad name. This documentary, Lord, Save Me From Your Followers, seeks to open dialogue between people, groups, and denominations. It is not a Catholic-inspired film, and it's not even a staunch Protestant film. It's an all-encompassing "Body of Christ" film that speaks to both Christians and non-Christians.

Much of the documentary was filmed in Portland, Oregon. I was so excited to be able to point out the Burnside Bridge or the waterfront or the skyline. I was also really happy to see the narrator/main guy interacting with some of the local Portland... wildlife. :) He wasn't trying to convert or admonish, just talk.

And that's so important! Talking, being open to hearing a different viewpoint even if you don't agree with it, it's so important. The communication part is something we all seem to forget.

I quite agree with the filmmaker and was excited to finally have my voice put into a documentary. Yes, I follow Christ. But I don't follow so closely that I step on heels and toes.

1 comment:

MissKris said...

I especially love a quote by Mahatma Gandhi..."I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." Boy, there's a lot said in those words, isn't there? Very rarely can we convert anyone by our WORDS. We speak to Man thru our actions. And we need to live our Christian walk 24/7/365because, most importantly, God sees us and knows our hearts ALL the time. Here's a book I highly recommend to you. I read it when I first became a Christian and it has influenced my entire walk with Him:

http://www.amazon.com/His-Steps-Charles-Sheldon/dp/0800786084