Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Shoyu Chicken (just like Local Boyz)

Okay, okay, here it is! Here's the recipe for shoyu chicken just like you'd find at Local Boyz.

1 C water
1 C soy sauce (I use a little less of the sodium-free Kikkoman)
1 C lightly packed brown sugar (give or take; I'm a giver)
1 tsp ginger (the granulated stuff works just fine)
1 tsp garlic (powdered, again, cheap and easy; don't substitute with garlic salt!)
splash of vinegar (maybe a tablespoon? leave it out if you don't have any)
4-6 whole chicken breasts or thighs or mix-and-match pieces--they'll fall apart on their own

Throw it all in a crock pot, give it a quick stir, set on high for four hours (low for six hours), and walk away. The recipe is perfect for starting on your lunch hour if you can run home--and then it's done when you get home after work! When there is a half-hour remaining on the timer, set your rice to cook. I make 3 cups of white rice in a rice cooker so there is plenty for two people plus leftovers.

This dish will reheat fabulously, so go ahead and make a bunch at once. Increase the ingredients to make more. My average-sized crock pot could easily handle a double batch. I'm not sure it's possible to cook this in a crock pot and make less than my recipe... though you could try it on the stovetop in a pot simmering on low for an hour or two. Use half the ingredients for two small chicken breasts. The stovetop method is the fastest, but the texture of 'fally-aparty' meat won't be the same.

As previously noted, I've accidentally thrown in pork cutlets with the chicken, and that was delicious too. Even steak might work. All of my meat gets trimmed insanely well, so there are no weird pieces like I've sometimes found at the restaurant--another bonus of home-cooked food.

Note on frozen meat: I've always been told never to put frozen meat into a crock pot. The meat apparently will stay in the "danger zone" too long. If you remember to defrost your meat before you put it in the crock pot, great! I forget often. I have thrown frozen meat into cold liquid and left it for six hours multiple times and not been sick. Maybe don't make a habit out of it.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with the Corvallis establishment Local Boyz. I have never been anything other than an occasional patron there. This recipe is as close to tasting like their shoyu chicken as I can approximate and was achieved through trial and error on my own part.

14 comments:

cm0978 said...

Sounds great -- thanks for doing the trial and error part for us!

Luke said...

Hey Thanks for Posting this recipe! I enjoy experimenting with foods especially now since I've acquired some dietary restrictions.

Chris said...

The Scruffy One was craving Hawaiian food from his favorite place, but they're closed on Sundays. So I offered to make him your shoyu chicken. So I'm making it right now. Again. He loves the stuff! (I do, too). :)

Anonymous said...

I just finished taste testing this recipe (I had it in the crock today) and it is 100% awesome. VERY VERY close to Local Boyz if not exact. Nice work and compliments to the creator of the recipe. :)

Hollye said...

This is awesome--thanks for sharing. Now, how to re-create their mac salad!

Anonymous said...

finally found a shoyu chicken recipe that required most of the ingredients that I have on hand. The only thing I don't have is a crock pot.

Susan said...

I am from Hawaii and lost my recipe for Shoyu Chicken....I should know it by heart because I have made it so many times, but since I am not very creative with food I looked for a recipe similar to mine. This one is very close. I am cooking it right now and it smells delicious. I put all the ingredients in a big pot and placed it in a 350 degree oven. It should be done soon! Yummy! MLC

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting something actually similar to Shoyu Chicken. Like you said, it's just easy. Not grilled, just put it in a pot and be done. Sometimes I add a little mango (or apricot jelly) to the batch and I always use fresh ginger, but this recipe is true to the islands.
501

Jason said...

I made this recipe yesterday for the family and it tasted exactly like Local Boyz in Corvallis, OR. I marinated 7 large chicken breasts for two days then into the crock pot for 3 1/2 hours on high. Pull out, shred the chicken, put back in crock pot to soak before serving. Amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

I figured out the Mac Salad...cook your macaroni, and then add mayo and pepper. After it is mixed, add the sauce used in the chicken recipe (before adding the raw chicken set some aside) until it tastes the way you want it to taste. Its amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Shoyou chicken was a staple of my diet in college. I've been in CO the last 10 years since graduation and haven't gotten my Local Boyz fix until now!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know how to make Da-Sauce?

Alz said...

I've been making this shoyu chicken for the past 5 years.. this is the ONLY way I'll cook shoyu chicken. As long as I have meat defrosted, I can get home late from work at 6, whip of the shoyu mix and put everything in a pot and cook on med-hi covered for about 45 min. Let it cook uncovered for another 15 to reduce the sauce.... soooo good.
When all the chicken is gone, it won't matter. Rice and sauce.. WINNAZ! :) I always cook the recipe exactly as written....peerrrrfffeect!

Kerri said...

Y'all need an Instant Pot!! I make shoyu chicken like Local Boyz all the time in it and it is very quick and tasty. There is another blogger Heatherlikesfood who has a similar recipe (because she likes LB too), and she has a macaroni salad recipe that is close to theirs. I read somewhere that the addition of celery salt or seeds makes the difference but I don't eat mac salad, only hubby does.