Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Life Beyond Facebook

I've had time to work on projects, learn new skills, and spend time with my husband.  Instead of being glued to a computer screen all day and night, I've enjoyed finishing books one right after another.  I am not concerned with the goings-on of everyday life in the way of status updates, Tweets, or obnoxious trivial bits of data.  My life is so much more fulfilling without Facebook!

I won't say I was addicted, because obviously I gave it up cold turkey and haven't looked back.  The one thing I miss is pictures of my cousin's children.  I wish they'd switch to Flickr or Picasa and share with me that way, but I understand the draw of large social networking sites.  At least The Man's cousin posts pictures on her blog, so I get my cute kid fix. :)

I don't miss the games, the advertisements, the logging in and out, or the desire to check-check-check for updates.  It is almost like the feeling of graduating from college: I kept thinking I had to do something for weeks, constantly reminding myself, "no, it's over, there's no homework now."  There aren't any status updates to read, any events to join, or spawning jealousy over who is doing what, when, and where.  It's over.  YAY!

There are a few people from high school that I would love to stay in contact with outside of Facebook, but I'm not sure they're following my blog, so I don't know if we're still in touch.  Facebook was good for that, but if we can't remain friends without the use of a website, I don't think we're really friends in the first place.  Shared history is not good enough in my book to call someone a "friend."

I'm not bashing Facebook (not today anyway), and I respect other people who use the site, but I'm not headed back any time soon.  Life is so much better face-to-face, inside real paper books, stitching and crafting, sharing and laughing.

1 comment:

MissKris said...

Amen, sister friend!