Thursday, June 03, 2010

The Sewing Machine Cover

I'd never used interfacing before, so the project was truly an adventure.  Last weekend, JoAnn's had awesome sales on storage stuff, so I may have purchased a little fabric with the "leftover" money.  I really like my sewing machine, and I strongly dislike the silly vinyl cover that came with it, so I figured a cover couldn't be too hard to sew.  It should be quite like my KitchenAid cover, right?  Right?!

Wrong.  It's nothing like a KitchenAid cover.  The two machines have very different shapes and sizes.  The KitchenAid cover is loose and puffy.  I wanted something sleek and form-fitting for the sewing machine.  A yard of pretty fabric, a yard of fusible interfacing, a package of piping, and a package of bias tape later... so much for "leftovers."  But I got a beautiful light blue and lime fabric with brown lines on it with lime piping and lime bias tape, so it's fun without being obnoxious.  Very much unlike my black and white "quilted" KitchenAid cover.

I decided against a 4-sided box corner slip-cover-type and went instead for a sort of drape with ties on either side.  Easier to sew, but not as form-fitting.  I cut my fabric into two large rectangles, one for the inside lining and one for the outside (it's basically reversible).  I also cut the interfacing the same size and then fused it to one sheet of fabric.  After pinning the piping in on the long edges, I sewed them up being careful to remember to stitch (and double-stitch) the bias-tape-ties in for later.  I'm no better at sewing piping now than I was before I ever got the sewing machine, but I'm learning.  I turned the fabric right-side-out and ironed it flat again.  Next, I sewed on the bias tape--which, miraculously, I'm not half-bad at stitching.

Project nearly complete, I fitted it over the machine and tied the ties as tight as I could.  Then I folded down the top edges and pinned them so the cover fit a bit more snugly to the shape of the machine.  I left the pins, but eventually I plan to sew cute buttons in this spot to keep the shape (using more "leftover" money, haha!).

Total project time: 2 hours.
Total cost: about $10 after coupons for fabric, interfacing, bias tape, and piping used
Cuteness factor after completing the job... you tell me!

No comments: