Friday, August 06, 2010

As Per

Hello grammatically incorrect world!  Just one more little beef with you today.  "...as per..." is twice the nonsense necessary.  "As" does not need to proceed "per" in any instance.  "As" can be used as an adverb, a conjunction, or a preposition.  "Per" is a preposition.  There is never a need to use "as" before "per" as it creates a double preposition of words that mean the same thing.

"Up above" and "down below" are similar examples of doubled prepositions.  In common spoken language, these prepositions work passably together.  In writing, however, there's no need to say, "The clock was up above the chair."  You simply say, "The clock was above the chair."  Likewise, "The dog was down below the porch," should be written as "The dog was below the porch."  Everyone understands without the double prepositions.

There are always exceptions to rules.  "Down under" has significant meaning geographically.  Sometimes directional prepositions modify the mood or meaning of a sentence slightly.  "Up against" versus "down against" are different.

But "as per" is wholly incorrect.  Let me give you a few examples:
"I threw away the papers as per John's request," should be "I threw away the papers per John's request."
"As per Jane's plan, we'll be sailing soon," should be "Per Jane's plan, we'll be sailing soon."

Are you understanding yet?  "As" does not need to proceed "per" in any situation.  (Although I'm certain I'll receive several comments misusing the grammatical imperfection just to spite me, right?)

4 comments:

Jules said...

oh, it's so good to see there is another grammar snob in the family! My biggest grammar peeve is when a sentence ends with a preposition. Or when people say "anywayS" - it should be "anyway".
Never thought about the examples you mentioned, but I am sure I will on the lookout for them now.

Jaggy said...

Every once in a while an end-of-sentence preposition doesn't bother me. As a rule, bad bad, but there can be a few exceptions (I think). "After all we went through?" or "I haven't a clue where my sister's run off to." make more sense just leaving them alone. Like I said, though, exceptions to the rule.

Anyways is not a word. Just like irregardless. The Man and I say "undisirregardless" when we're being silly. :)

cm0978 said...

Shouldn't your comment be "As I said..." rather than "Like I said..."? Just pushing the rules!

MissKris said...

I am a stickler for grammar and 'writing rules' but I don't let it get to me. I have my little grammatical quirks...and spelling such as thru and nite...that make me 'uniquely normal', just like everyone else! :-D