Friday, September 24, 2010

Moving Boxes Everywhere

Today was an expensive day.  Between the necessities like laundry soap and batteries and contact solution to the new shelving systems for the new apartment and a haircut for me, I spent a hefty sum today.  Aside from the shelves, though, everything was sort of standard budget stuff that we would have had to buy sooner or later anyway.  I had a bunch of coupons, and lots of it was on sale, but still.  *sigh*

Tomorrow is our big moving day.  We're having a sort of moving party with family and friends helping us.  It's going to be a long day.  Before then, I need to clean the bathroom completely so I can switch our fancy showerhead for the crappy one that came with the apartment.  I refuse to clean a shower without a showerhead on a hose.  I also need to empty the kitchen and wipe everything out.  Between those two things, I think I'll be swamped for the rest of the day.  I'm going to try to use baking soda and vinegar for most things to avoid so many chemical fumes.

People have asked me if I'm excited to move into a new apartment.  I'm a little excited and a little sad.  Nearly three years (to the day!) ago, I signed my first lease. I remember moving home after college and then working so hard to find work and pay back my parents and move out on my own.  Those were not my best sixteen months.  Being out on my own, not just financially but in every way, has made such a huge difference in my life.  My apartment represents, to me, that independence.  Leaving my first apartment is sort of hard.  I love The Man, and I am so happy to be married to him, but there's that part of me that loves being home alone (except at night).  I know we're going to a bigger, cheaper, quieter, less-second-floor, apartment.  But this place was my first "mine."  My first place where what I say goes.  My first chance to set the rules.  My first big responsibility to maintain. 

I keep running a quote through my head, a Captain Jack quote from Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl.  "That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom."  And I think of my apartment along the same lines: it's not just a floor and walls and windows and doors, that's what a home needs, but what a home really is is freedom.

Tomorrow I get a new home.  Our home.  A little sad, but a little excited too.

No comments: