Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Not Much Extra

As The Man and I look forward to moving in about two weeks, we're paring down our lives yet again.  When we got married and started living together (as married people do) a year ago, I went through my entire apartment and cleaned out probably a large curbside garbage bin worth of junk.  I sorted and stacked and boxed and reboxed to get my belongings into a very small space so that he'd have room to move in.  Although he didn't actually have much space when he first moved in, we've slowly evened things out to where we have more "our" space than his or mine.

But now we're moving.  And we have to box things up so that they're easier to move.  What I'm finding as I begin to pack is both awesome and frustrating.  We can't really pack much up early because we use the stuff we have.  The bathroom stuff, of course, can't be packed up until the day or two before.  Likewise, our desks, bed, and laundry can't really go anywhere until the move.  Even my kitchen stuff can't be packed up early: I use 90% of what I have at least weekly.  It's awesome because I feel like I have the right things, use them and love them, and don't need much else.  It's frustrating because I feel like I can't get organized to move yet.

Overall, I think it's a good thing to not have much extra.  I know the next time we move will be even bigger and more frustrating.  We'll probably have a dining set and a huge bed and a kitchen more full of little appliances... how much fun does that sound?

At least I got one bookcase full of books packed away.  I'm starting with the books.  I already need more boxes.  *sigh*

1 comment:

Skunk said...

As having to move 4 times in the past 3 years, for similar reasons as yourself, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I hate moving!

As you approach the actual move date, I suggest packing some bags and/or boxes that you will LIVE out of for the next few days--that way you can first separate the real necessities, and then truly pack up the rest.