Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I Hate Big Cities

I had to drive up to Beaverton today to do some training for work.  For once, I was the trainer and not the trainee!  Left in the dark and got to the big city around 9:00am.  Took I-5 to 217 no problem, but then traffic got nasty, especially headed into Portland.  Thankfully the GPS took me off the highways and onto side streets pretty fast.

I was so excited coming home to hit not only back roads, but entire stretches of roads without another car on them.  I was thrilled to get into Corvallis and not have to wait an hour at a stoplight.  Heck, I was just excited to know shortcuts and ways around the tiny bit of traffic I did encounter around here.

I am so not cut out for big cities...

3 comments:

MissKris said...

I've lived in Portland 28 years and I still am so NOT in to our traffic. You should see the nightmare commute my son and/or daughter-in-law have to deal with every evening going home to Vancouver! Some nites, leaving our house here in SE, it can take them over an hour to get home, which makes that 6-6:30. Barely time for dinner, then bed for the boys. Not much family time, that's for sure. They ought to invest in a rowboat...sometimes I think they'd get home faster rowing across the Columbia than it takes to drive on the bridge!!

The Guy Who Writes This said...

I was there on Tuesday and can't imagine how someone would ever want to live or work there. I can understand living in Portland, but not the suburban sprawl.

Skunk said...

Yesterday was particularly bad over here because Obama was speaking at the convention center... Yeah, traffic can suck around here, but you DO get used to it and you DO learn your way around just as well as you did when you lived in Corvallis. It really isn't that bad. I grew up as a small town girl, and I'm just as happy up here as I was down there, if not happier.