Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Oven-Dried Apples

I tried an experiment with some Granny Smith apples last night.  The apple chips turned out wonderfully.  I simply washed and thinly sliced three medium apples and arranged the slices in a single layer on my Silpat-lined cookie sheets.  I put the sheets in my oven set to "warm," about 140-degrees for around four hours with the door propped open just a smidge to let the steam out.  I did flip the slices over about half way or a little more later.  Once the dehydrated apples cooled completely, I stored them in a couple freezer bags and left them on the counter.  Easy as that.  If I could find some FruitFresh, the apples would be less brown, but honestly the color doesn't bother me on dried apples.  Next time I might slice a little thicker and dehydrate longer, maybe overnight.  I like the chips a tad more chewy and a bit less crunchy, but still, these are fabulous.  And healthy! :D

2 comments:

cm0978 said...

Will the Man eat those? I think he used to eat dried banana chips. Maybe if you put cheese on them ....

Jaggy said...

No, he won't eat them. He has texture issues. Oh well, more for me.