Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Why no Normal Shirts, Fashion World?

The Man and I made a quick trip to Salem this evening.  We popped into JC Penney to look for a few things, one of which was a new button-down shirt for me.  I'm talking normal oxford shirt.  Long-sleeved, buttons from the neck to the bottom hemline, simple.  Easy.  Apparently also impossible to find.

It's not hard to find 3/4-length sleeves.  It's not hard to find a bunch of annoying gathers or added details or gold-flecked fabric.  It's also very common to see a shirt that cannot be buttoned together at the top (the highest button is somewhere between the collarbone and a deep plunging V).  Why is it so hard to make a whole shirt these days?

I just want a shirt with no missing parts.  Full-length sleeves.  Buttons from the top of the collar to the bottom hem.  Darts would be appreciated, otherwise it's basically a men's shirt.  Which I seriously considered buying since men seem to have a whole freakin' wall of exactly what I'm looking for, only it's made for a man and not a woman's curves and that pretty much defeats the whole "attractive cut" thing.

I tell ya.  Shopping sucks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you! What are these stores coming too? I even have went so far to look for a pattern to make my own shirts and can't even find a pattern for this style.

Skunk said...

Are you planning on wearing a tie with this shirt? If not, why is the top button necessary?

If I were in your situation, I'd buy a mens shirt that fits your bust, dart it, and take in the sleeves and sides. Being a performing dancer for many years whose costumes REQUIRED such a shirt, and being a chesty one at that--this is what I did.

Other than that, I think you're out of luck. That style of shirt just ain't the style right now for women. I don't know who makes these rules, but this seems to be the current situation of our times. Gotta make do, I guess. Either that, or go naked. You pick. :)