Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Two2Go

Two days left to go before I start my new job.  I'm getting more excited with each passing day.  The Man has another week and two days before he starts his new job, but I know he's excited too (probably more than I am!).

I made my first attempts at learning the quilting rocking stitch last night, and all I got out of it was sore fingers.  I'm told that quilting needles have to be small... they sure are hard to hold on to.  I may get the hang of it soon.  If not, pfft, I'll just machine stitch.  It won't look nearly as nice, but it'll hold together.

Since I've given up over 90% of my gluten intake since New Year's Day (to see if maybe that's what is causing my insides to revolt on a bi-weekly basis), I've learned a lot.  I learned that I much prefer Corn Chex to Rice Chex.  I learned that corn tortillas do not roll around chicken whatsoever.  I learned that I don't miss bread nearly as much as I thought I would.  Same with pasta.  But I crave pizza, Shredded Mini Wheats, and donuts about eighty times more.  I am told that there are levels of gluten intolerance, so it's possible that I could be able to eat some gluten and not have intestinal issues, but other people might not be able to have any.  After almost two weeks at 90% gluten-free, I think I feel healthier since I've had more veggies, of course, and I haven't had any long mornings in the bathroom (yay!), so maybe this is worth something for me.  If it helps, I'll keep doing it.

If nothing else, I'm learning to diversify my diet.  That's definitely worth something.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I went Gluten-Free for about 5 months last year. I discovered that Bob's Red Mill sells a GF Pizza mix and it is amazing. Daniel and I made it at least once a week. The mix definitely doesn't go together like normal pizza crust (much harder to work with. the key is to make sure your hands are soaking wet) but it tastes amazing! You can get mixes at Fred Meyer's, Safeway, or the Bob's Red Mill store in Portland. :)

Kayla said...

I had to cut out dairy/lactose out of my diet last summer, and have discovered that I do, in fact, have a lactose intolrence, but boy does it vary! Different amounts of lactose affect me differently at different times!
It's made my diet a lot more varied though - more veggies like you, and alternatives that are really quite nice.
Good Luck!