Tuesday, February 22, 2011

For the Bees

I do not like honey.  Believe me, I've tried it.  I have had fresh honey, old honey, clover honey, crap honey... it's all gross to me.  I can't get past the texture, that slimy, slippery, sticky mess in my mouth.  Even as a glaze on chicken or in tea, I can't do it.  It's too sweet (and this is coming from a sweets fan).  And there is an aftertaste that just about makes me gag.

I was so excited last night to try to make my own homemade salad dressing, a honey lemon dressing.  I hoped something light and sweet would be healthier than ranch on my salads.  I found several recipes online and sort of adapted them to my own tastes.  A squeeze of lemon here, a squirt of honey there, some parsley, a bit of olive oil, and some pepper and salt.  Nothing too extraordinary.  I wanted to vomit after tasting it.  The olive oil coats the mouth so that the honey oozes everywhere making way for the tart lemon... oh my, that was bad.

I can't stand olive oil either.  I have it on hand only for cooking chicken, and even then I'd rather not use anything (and often do use nothing).  The health benefits of olive oil, and honey too, aren't worth the nasty taste they leave behind.  Fruity, floral, sweet-as-hell, no thank you.

Honey Nut Cheerios aren't bad, but the Honey Nut Chex are terrible.  Too much honey, not enough nut.  Honey grahams are great, but they don't taste like honey at all... and the chocolate grahams or cinnamon grahams taste much better anyway.  Come to think of it, there are very few honey-flavored foods I will eat.

I'll use Karo syrup if I need a gooey sweet mess, maybe even molasses, before I ever use honey again.

No comments: