Monday, February 21, 2011

Killing Time one Number After Another

With The Man working late nights due to a full workload at his new job, I've found I need more than quilting to keep me busy.  Surfing the Internet only gets me so far, as does watching TV and movies.  I need something interactive.

Last week, on a bit of a whim, I popped into a local hobby store to see what I could find.  Car models aren't my thing, nor are airplanes or little speedboats.  I did find a neat woodburning kit, but with my tendency to branch out with one hobby, I could only imagine what my plastic dining chairs would come out looking like.  There was a small selection of paint-by-number kits.  I've done a few of those in the past, so I figured it would be a fun try. Most of the kits were about $20, but they were all stupid pictures: a dog on a blanket, a covered bridge (not one in Oregon, blah), or a still life.  The one good picture they had--hot air balloons--was the only $7 kit in the pile.  So I bought it.

I've done some of the red, some of the blue, and some of the yellow so far.  It's a very detailed drawing with lots of little tiny areas to fill and some complicated color mixing needed.  I can't fill in all of the "5" areas since some of those have numbers in the indicating an adjacent area should be filled in "5/10," meaning a mix of colors 5 and 10.  Part of me wants to just go out and buy really close approximations to 5 and 10 and their mix to avoid the whole mess, but that wouldn't be keeping with the spirit of the project.

I have no idea why I have no patience for cross-stitching or needlepoint, no patience for letting paint dry, and no patience to make really complicated desserts, yet I am readily hand-quilting a quilt and love challenging multi-piece origami constructions.

Have no fear, I still hate yarn.  Zero patience for that stuff.  Never have, likely never will.  *shudder*

No comments: