Thursday, February 03, 2011

They Lie

Dear Makeup Makers:

Will you please craft a line of skin-care and make-up products for people with freckles?  I have them.  I have LOTS of them.  And under, around, and between all those freckles is very, very fair and sensitive skin.  We're talking holy-moly white skin.  Not "light" or "fair" or "natural" skin... think something more like 96-bright copy paper skin.

The problem isn't covering up my freckles.  Just about any foundation on the market will do that.  I don't want them covered.  I love my freckles. I just want all the skin in between the freckles to look even and smooth and "normal."  I don't want to look like I put eight pounds of makeup on.  I don't want the foundation color to be an in-between-dark-and-light color ('cuz the whole orange face thing is so middle school).

I love Almay products.  They last all day, don't irritate my skin or eyes or contacts, and aren't full of junk bad for my skin.  They're also fragrance-free.  And they're not too expensive.  So tonight I tried the Almay Smart Shade foundation in "light," the lightest shade Almay sells.  LIES.  ALL LIES.  It's not light.  I look like an OompaLoompa.  With freckles.  I'm one pink and green tube of Great Lash mascara away from being in 7th grade again.  Minus the braces this time, lucky me.

I don't have a lot of money to be running around buying eighty-eleven jars/pots/packs/sticks of foundation.  As much as I'd love to try a bunch of these products for free, I also don't want to be using the same stuff other people have been wiggling their fingers (or other things) in.  I need a foundation that doesn't make me look or feel stupid.  I need to feel like the makeup world understands me.

Is that too much to ask?

Signed,
Freckled and Beautiful

2 comments:

Dan and Jenn said...

As you know I am also a stark whit kind of girl and I discovered Bare Minerals make-up. It is a little bit more expensive but I have a thing of foundation and the mineral veil and it has lasted me over a year now. So it evens out over time. I use the lightest one they have. There is a Bare Escentuals store in Washington Square mall in Portland. You can go in and they will do your make-up for free and you can decide if you like it enough to buy it.

Skunk said...

I was just about to say the same thing. I, too, am pale and with freckles. I DO like to cover mine up occasionally, but when I don't, Bare Minerals is perfect. It is a bit more expensive, but it's super-kind to your skin.

You just have to put up with being "consulted" at the store to figure out which shade is best for you, but it's worth it. :)