Monday, February 14, 2011

Turkey (or Chicken) and Rice Soup

Chicken noodle soup is not only a comfort food for me but a way of life.  Or, it was... until I gave up egg noodles since they do bad things to my insides.  I swapped them out for rice recently, and now I'm totally hooked on rice in my soup!

A reader requested this recipe from me today, so here's my not-so-secret meat-and-rice soup:

Broth/Stock:
You can buy pre-made chicken stock and simply warm it up if you want.  If you don't want to fork over money for pre-made stock like me, you can either make your own (look line for recipes), or plop about five bouillon cubes in a pot of water.  I'm lazy.  Cubies work just fine.  There are low-sodium packets and sometimes low-sodium cubes.  I prefer those, but if I can't find them, then I don't add any additional salt to my pot.

5 bouillon cubes, chicken flavor (Herb-Ox is gluten-free)
Black pepper to taste: I give about twenty grinds on my grinder.
Parsley to taste: a tablespoon is more than enough for me.
1 Bay leaf: remove before eating.
Basil?  A sprinkle.
Salt if necessary.

1lb cooked and shredded turkey or chicken
1lb carrots, chopped (or about four carrots)
1lb celery, chopped (most of a whole stalk)
1 medium onion, chopped (I chop finely else The Man picks it out)
1 cup rice (white tastes better, brown is healthier, you pick)

Fill a large stock pot about half-full with water.  Add all of your seasoning.  Bring to a boil.  Put in your veggies.  Cook about twenty minutes at a full, rolling boil.  Add the turkey and rice.  Cook another half-hour or so at a full, rolling boil.

Voila, dinner done in an hour.  Veggies, protein, and carbs all in one pot.  Only had to dirty one cutting board if the turkey was pre-roasted (I did mine last Thanksgiving and am still eating on it from the freezer).  Leftovers aplenty.  Costs less than Campbell's, tastes way better, and is guaranteed

1 comment:

cm0978 said...

Reminds me of the Maurice Sendak book:
"Sipping once, sipping twice, sipping chicken soup with rice." One of my favorites!