Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Vacuum Blues

I was really hoping that thing had kicked the bucket.  Alas, we have discovered how to fix the vacuum, and now we're stuck with it.  Over the course of the last year, our trusty red Hoover has slowly become less and less reliable.  The belts are all fine, and the body is in great condition, but the vacuum didn't vacuum.  It turned on and rotated the brushes and whirred just like always.  It just didn't have any sucking power.

And a vacuum without sucking power is a really loud brick.

Tonight, I finally reached the end of my rope (in more ways than one, but another story for another day).  I tore into the vacuum from the top to the bottom.  I cleaned the brushes, hosed out the plastic parts, scrubbed the filters clean, and really looked for clogs.  After I dried everything well, I reassembled the beast.  And I turned 'er on.

TA DA!  We have a perfectly functioning vacuum.  Again.

We have been saving the very last of our wedding money for a new vacuum since we thought the old one was dying.  Guess we'll have to spend it on something else.  Like games!  Or another end table!

I'm not sure whether I should be happy or sad, but I'm glad we have a (well) working vacuum.  That's worth something, right?

No comments: