Monday, March 21, 2011

Homemade Pop-Tarts (gluten-free option!)

After a few requests for my homemade pop-tart recipe, how could I do anything but make that my next post?  If you can make pie crust, you can make these.

1 1/2 c flour (AP or white rice flour or your favorite pastry flour)
1/2 c butter (not margarine, don't even think about it)
1/4 t salt
3 T water (or a little more)

jam or jelly

powdered sugar
milk
vanilla (optional)
sprinkles or other decorations (optional)

Combine flour and salt, then cut in cold butter until you get a coarse crumb texture.  Slowly add a tablespoon of water at a time until you can make a ball of dough in your hand that doesn't come apart.  Turn dough onto a pastry mat and roll into a big rectangle about 1/8" thick.  Cut into twelve or sixteen pieces depending how big you want your tarts.  Place a scant teaspoon of jam or jelly on half of your dough pieces, then cover the jammed pieces with the unjammed pieces.  Press with a fork, fingers, or other device around the edges to seal.  Bake on a parchment- or silpat-lined sheet at 450° for about 8 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden.  Once cooled, make a simple powdered sugar and milk glaze and drizzle as desired.

There are some rules for pop-tart decorating.  Strawberry and blueberry pop-tarts get white frosting and multi-colored sprinkles.  Cherry tarts get pink frosting and red sprinkles.  Raspberry have white frosting and red sprinkles.  Grape get purple frosting with green sprinkles.  That is, if you follow the Pop-Tart Brand.  If you prefer chocolate chips, a peanut butter drizzle over apple tarts, or maybe caramel sauce for dipping, that's totally up to you. :)

If you use rice flour, you'll need more than 5 T of water to get a good dough.  Brown rice flour will also work, plus that'll add some fiber (but not enough to remove any guilt!).  I think half-shortening-half-butter will also work, but it doesn't help the calories or the flavor any, maybe just the texture.  Lastly, I would use more than a teaspoon of jam if you want as much as what comes in a regular pop-tart.  I didn't need more, but I can see how someone else would.

I am not affiliated with Kelloggs, Pop-Tarts, or any other company or business that sells pastries.  My recipe is not intended to compete with commercial brands.  But if you like my recipe, comment, yo!

2 comments:

Lockwood said...

I don't cook much anymore, but this sounds easy and good. I'm passing the link along to a friend of mine who works at the Interzone.

Brenda Davis said...

I a so gonna try this. I was recently told to go gluten free. This is all very new to me, but I love pop tarts, so I went on a mission. This appears to be an easy enough recipe, so pop tarts here I come! Thanks.