Saturday, April 16, 2011

Off The Deep End

Sorry for not posting late this week.  I've been a bit preoccupied.  Since season 7 of Deadliest Catch aired Tuesday night, I haven't been right in the head.

Well, I guess that's not entirely true.  I managed to go to work and make dinner and, you know, function like a normal person.  My sad little mind, however, was not always focused on the task at hand.

There is no reason I should even give another thought to Bering Sea fishermen.  I don't eat crab except maybe once or twice a decade when somebody I know has gone down to the bay to catch it and are willing to share.  I don't particularly like crab.  I'd much, much rather eat crawdads or real fish.

I'm not the show's target audience.  I've only ever been fishing once (at Forest Glen, no less), and we had to throw my fish back anyway.  Though I have taught myself to swim--no thanks to teachers that pushed me under in grade and high school--I'm not a fan of the water.  I don't drink, smoke, or get in bar fights.  And while I guess someone, somewhere would call me a bit of an environmentalist (maybe?), I am not terribly concerned with how many crab get pulled from the ocean each year.  The big, pretty mammals? Sure.  Crab?  Not so much.

But I'm totally, completely, absolutely hooked on this show.  I've been a fan of the show for probably six seasons already, but I mostly waited for marathons or several episodes in a row in order to really watch the show.  I'm not drawn in by the crabbing.  Watching guys haul pots out of the deep?  Snoozefest.  But the camaraderie, the brotherhood of fishermen, the trials of life at sea, that's what I want to watch.  I know nothing on Deadliest Catch is scripted (unlike just about everything on TLC), so it's the truest "reality TV" I can find.

I must admit a certain level of attraction to some of the fishermen.  Not that I would ever want to get all snuggly with a slimy-fish-guts-covered-haven't-showered-in-a-week guy (I have my own smelly-at-times-and-way-less-dangerously-employed husband).  I do find it somewhat odd--but not surprising--that the guy I'm most attracted to is the one that looks most like The Man (Edgar, F/V Northwestern, I'm looking at you).  Anyone who has been reading here for a while knows one of my earliest celebrity crushes was George Clooney (One Fine Day? Love it).  Every once in a while, I catch myself thinking Capt. Andy from the F/V Time Bandit looks strikingly like a younger Clooney--just a little less chiseled, but in a good way.  Of course, Cornelia Marie brothers Josh and Jake are total cuties, but admiring from a distance is just fine by me.  Even Wild Bill on the Kodiak isn't hard on the eyes.  Let's just say I don't have a favorite boat or that I root for one boat over another.  As long as they all come home safely, that's what I want to see.

I bought the book Time Bandit, written by the Hillstrands, and read it in two evenings.  Funny, remarkable, and surprisingly good.  I really enjoyed the book, especially the explanations of how and why things happen the way they do.  Each brother has his own writing style, and I liked hearing their own voices shine through in the writing.

Lastly, every episode except the current season are available free on Netflix instant watch.  I can get a LOT of quilting done over six seasons, lemme tell ya.  Guess where I'll be tonight!  and tomorrow! :)

Postscript: While I'm sure Alaskan King crab and snow crab are delicious, the Oregonian in me demands Dungeness.  Support your local sustainable fisheries, please.

No comments: