Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Terms of Un-Endearment

I've long been told that the pitter-patter of little feet is something to be treasured.  Happy, running, dancing children are one of God's greatest gifts.  And I'm all for happy children, I really am.  I love happy kids.  I even usually love less-than-happy kids.  Running children?  More power to them.  Get that energy out!  Dancing children?  Heck, I'm in favor of everyone dancing.

But I am not in favor of happy, running, dancing toddlers that live right above me at 6:00am.  The pitter-patter-stompy-stomps need to wait until at least 8:00am.  I don't know if the kid weighs a ton or what, but he must be chock-full of energy at the crack of dawn in order to stomp that hard.  The somewhat larger woman who has lived above us the last few months never made much noise, the occasional thump or bump, nothing to complain about (and it's actually reassuring that she's still kickin' and doing well).  I am hoping that the young hellion living there at the moment is merely one of her visitors as I cannot take much more of the whumpy-thumpy-stompy-jumpy.

I've never had to complain about a neighbor before.  Even in our last apartment with Captain Rock Band and his vociferous harem at all hours of the day, even that was less annoying than the one child above us now.  The disco-freaks on the other side of my bedroom wall were less annoying than the BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM-BAM such a small creature creates first thing in the morning.

I don't know what to do.  Children are loud.  There's no real way the parents can prevent their kid from running full-bore through a tiny apartment.  The apartment managers likely won't do anything.  I just don't know if I can take being awoken unexpectedly at o-dark-hundred morning after morning.

Between the trains barreling through rattling our windows and doors at 3:00am and the child upstairs, I'm seriously considering breaking a lease.  One or the other, I can't handle both.

What can I do?

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Ew, you have my sympathies. Ever since we moved into our current apartment we've been dealing with loud neighbors. Screaming kids, arguing, slamming doors, howling dog, police... you name it.

Sadly, aside from talking to your landlord or breaking your lease, I don't know that there's anything else that could be done. Huge bummer.