Sunday, May 29, 2011

Lucky Stars Quilt

After six months, roughly a hundred hours of work time, about $50, and enough stress for one year, I finished my quilt this weekend.  As scared as I was about my original color choice, I'm thrilled the boldness and vividness actually works.  Though you can't see it in my pictures here, the binding is black and creates a great frame for the colors.  The back is all white muslin.  Also, the size is perfect for two people to snuggle on the couch.  My final dimensions were about 60" x 80", or just enough to cover the top of a queen bed and nothing hanging over on the sides.

I purchased everything for this quilt at Jo-Ann Fabrics (except the pattern which was borrowed from my mother-in-law).  I bought five five-color sets of fat quarters from the bins and used four colors out of each bundle to make up twenty quarters.  They were the bright pinks, orange-yellows, purples, greens, and blues sets of batiks that are still available as of my last trip to Jo-Ann's.  After cutting all of my fabric, I arranged it out so that no two stars were the same.  Then I arranged all of the bars so that purple didn't touch purple, blue didn't touch blue, and so on.  In the end, there are a few places where colors are touching, but it isn't too often.  I had to piece everything one block at a time in order to maintain my layout, otherwise I could have chain-pieced in half the time.  The color insanity is worth it though!

The pattern is by Atkinson Designs, who, by the way, has fantastic instructions on all of their patterns.  Seriously, the best instructions ever.

With all of the piecing done, I learned about layering the "quilt sandwich" and how to baste for hand-quilting.  I bought a nice PVC hoop and set to work.  About forty hours went into the hand-quilting around each star.  My stitches did get smaller as I worked, but I seemed to be fairly consistent around any one star.  Maybe someday I'll add some more stitches, but I like the look of just the stars outlined for now.  You can click on the picture to see the detail of my hand stitches.

As you could tell by my last post, not everything was peachy on this quilt adventure.  I had some mistakes, ripped out a lot of stitches, and became very frustrated more than once.  I did get my "in the ditch" stitches put in Friday afternoon without much trouble (after I pinned everything super well).  The binding went on in about an hour.

I snuggled under my new quilt last night while we watched a movie.  It definitely passes the cozy test.

5 comments:

MissKris said...

Very, VERY pretty! I have a sister-in-law who loves to quilt and hers are exquisite. So is yours.

MissKris said...

I was just reading your Twitter posts. The weirdest thing I've ever seen on my way to work was someone whip out a toothbrush and begin brushing their teeth as we both waited to get our cars filled with gas. STRANGE people out there, Miss Jaggy.

Jules said...

Very nice quilt! Way to go - and stay at it. The razor blade scene - i would have not made it past the frustration. Looking at your quilt makes me want to start up again, "in my free time"

GuinevereStar said...

Such a beautiful quilt - well done, it's stunning! :~)

Renae said...

I absolutely LOVE your quilt! So colorful! Great job!