Monday, May 23, 2011

Pedometering

I bought a pedometer recently, partly out of curiosity.  How many steps do I actually walk during the day?  Am I as active--or inactive--as I thought?  How many more steps will I have to take to reach 10,000 (the recommended daily goal by most science-y types)?

There's good news and bad news.  The bad news is that finding a reliable pedometer that doesn't make loud clicking noises is harder than I thought it would be.  I found one I liked online, but I ended up getting a different one in a local store.  The one I got is poorly rated, so if it breaks, I know what I'm definitely getting next time.  If you are in search of a pedometer, Omron is the trusted brand for most people.  Mine is by New Balance.  Even though it isn't rated well, it seems to be doing a good job so far.

The good news is actually really good!  I have been easily clearing 7,500 steps just in my daily jaunts.  Between shopping, walking on the job, a hike yesterday (my saving grace), and putzing around in the kitchen, I get most of the way toward my 10,000 steps.  If I pushed myself for that one extra mile, about 2,000 steps for most people, I'd be set.  I really do get a bit of exercise during my average day.

I've had to learn to be careful, though.  The vibration from riding in a car, from making a bed, even from stirring food can make the pedometer think I'm walking.  As much as I like the idea of getting some exercise sitting on my butt driving a car, somehow I think that's cheating.  I just have to unclip the device and set it somewhere so it doesn't click-click-click my digits up.

If I could find a way to safely quilt and walk at the same time, I think I could walk a lot more in my day...

No comments: