Friday, June 10, 2011

God Grew Tired of Us

The movie had been showing up in my Netflix recommendations for months, but I finally got around to watching it last night.  God Grew Tired of Us was so much more than I expected it to be!  The documentary follows the lives of a few young men, men very close to my own age, from their lives in Sudan during their civil war to Ethiopia and then Kenya.  I mean absolutely no disrespect to Native Americans by referencing their Trail of Tears across parts of this country, but these Lost Boys of Sudan? Same exact thing.  Except they were all twelve years old or younger, marching across some of the harshest land on earth with no adult supervision, during a war of genocide, with no food or water, while being hunted by not only armies but also the wild critters of Africa.  Oh, and there were twenty-six thousand of them.  And they had to move twice.  Some of the fortunate Lost Boys have been granted amnesty by the United States and now live in several cities across the country.

The documentary focuses especially on what they perceived their new home to be before arriving.  Their ideas of life here is almost comical.  But seeing them flip a light switch for the first time, handle chicken packed and frozen, taste their first potato chip, and encounter this entirely new civilization is so eye-opening even for me.  I had a hard time getting to sleep in my ultra-plush and quite stylish bed last night.  I felt incredibly vain powdering my face before work (SPF in a non-greasy form, it ain't for looks).  Even brushing my teeth with a fancy toothbrush felt luxurious.  Don't even get me started about driving my car four miles to work... *sigh

The documentary also gave me hope.  The civil war in Sudan ended recently, and southern Sudan will secede next month to form its own country.  The Lost Boys can go home.  They, after over a decade of life as a refugee, can return to their beautiful home.

If you get a chance, please watch the documentary.  It'll make you thankful, humble, and hopeful, too.

1 comment:

Jules said...

we're pretty spoiled here in our cushy life.