Friday, July 29, 2011

Easy Oatmeal Pancakes

Okay, I'll admit, making pancakes from a pre-made boxed mix is easier.  But this recipe? Not much more difficult.  If you can crack an egg and flip a pancake, you're good.

I made these with Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pancake Mix instead of the white flour for two reasons, 1) I didn't have any white flour, and 2) I didn't want to feel bloated and nasty for the rest of the night.  Plus a little extra leavening never hurt a pancake, right?

Recipe from the Smitten Kitchen.

The Dry Stuff
3/4 cup oat flour (I kinda forgot to make the oats into flour and just left them whole, whoops)
1 cup all-purpose flour (or use pancake mix?)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt

The Wet Stuff
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly (plus extra for the pan) (forgot this too)
1 1/4 cups whole milk (uh, who has that? I used 1% just fine)
1 cup cooked oatmeal (like, make a single serving of oatmeal according to the tube's directions)
1 tablespoon honey or molasses
2 large eggs, separated, with the whites whipped to whiteness and the yolks just... yolky

Mix the dry ingredients together.  Mix the wet ingredients together (egg whites separate, but add the yolks).  Then apply the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until batter consistency (a few lumps okay).  Gently fold in the egg whites.  You could skip the egg white whipping part, but it gives the pancakes a crispiness that I prefer.  Plus the arm workout is good.

I broke out my electric griddle for this, but a pan on the stove on medium-low (about 250-300° is plenty warm) will work.  Drop the batter onto the hot surface about a quarter-cup at a time.  That gave me about five- or six-inch pancakes after I spread out the batter a bit.  They take about four minutes on the first side for me and about two on the other.  Super fluffy, super light, very much like a buckwheat pancake, but lighter and tastier.  And all that oatmeal means it's heart-healthy, high in fiber, good-for-you-deliciousness.

The Man and I smeared our oat pancakes with peanut butter and maple syrup, just a smidge of each.  Good oils in the peanut butter, and well, we just won't go into the sugary syrup bit, k?  Let a girl have some fun.

I had a couple pancakes left over the next morning and toasted them in my toaster oven.  They were great!  The Man is still a Bisquick purist, but these are probably my new favorite pancake.  Will have to see if they waffle just as well soon...

No comments: