Friday, July 22, 2011

New Signature Scent

Let's get one thing straight from the start: I can't stand smells.  Unless they're fresh cooking smells, the very slightest fresh flower smell (from actual fresh flowers), or freshly hayed grass or alfalfa fields (or mint! yum!), I don't want to smell it.  Campfires? No.  Chemical smells? Absolutely not. Candles and perfumes and potpurri and that awful Scentsy stuff?  Please no.


When I wake up in the morning, I don't add perfume.  My shampoo barely has a scent that dissipates completely as my hair dries.  My body wash is unscented for a reason.  Deodorant? BAN-brand with no noticeable smell.  My goal is to get through every day without smelling.  No clean smells, no yucky smells, no smell at all.

Last weekend, The Man and I wandered around the coast for several hours, popping in and out of tourist shops.  I sniffed candles and whiffed soaps often, but they were all hideous.  They all had that acrid froofyflowerycitrusyyuck I can't stand.  I had given up hope years ago of ever finding a candle or soap that didn't make me want to wretch, so mostly I smelled these things out of amusement ...kind of like when we go into "Christian" bookstores for Catholic bibles and turn up empty-handed time after time...  maybe I enjoy efforts in futility?

Anyway, we went into this shop on Nye Beach in Newport.  They had all sorts of froofyflowerycitrusyyuck.  I think they even had scented tassel bookmarks.  Because that is something I need to survive /sarcasm/.  I wandered to the back of the store where I picked up a rather plain looking bar of soap.  It didn't make me hurly, and, after repeated sniffs, was quite nice.  A soap smelled good.  Holy stinky suds, Batman!

There was a lotion sitting nearby of the same scent, so I plopped a drop on the back of my hand and smudged it in.  The first sniff test wasn't awful at all.  I didn't think much about it, and we walked out of the store empty-handed.  We finished our shopping, drove home, and chilled for a bit.  After a while, I remember the lotion on the back of my hand.  It must have been there for three hours or more when I second-sniffed it.

You know how people are always marketing candles and lotions and soaps as smelling "like the rain" or "like the sea" or "like the earth after a downpour?"  And all of those scents are completely different than what the rain smells like or how the ocean smells... yeah.  I hate that.  For your information, the coast I grew up near smells like dead fish, seagull poop, and stale salty air.  Decidedly not something I want burning away in my living room.  It's not a froofy scent, not a hint of floral or fruity stink, and the very slight peppery hint just tickles the nose.  After repeated smells, I could detect just a bit of vanilla on the back end.

Back to the second-sniff: I want Heaven to smell exactly like that.  It really smells like the ocean, or whatever a non-seagull-poopy ocean ought to smell like.  It smells like summer and sun and rain and the outdoors with a hint of warmth and coolness at the same time.  The closest perfume I can equate it to is Revlon's "Fire and Ice" scent from the 1980's, but it's quite a bit lighter than that.  Thanks to Amazon, I don't have to drive all the way back to the coast to pick some up!  (Although a trip to the coast is such a small price to pay...)

I am completely head-over-heels in love with Thymes Azur.

No comments: