Monday, July 11, 2011

Tales of the Kitchen

My weekend was spent primarily in the kitchen.  Every once in a while those weekends make me happy.  I was excited to start the many adventures, and I'm very glad they're mostly behind me now.

Perhaps I'm the only person on earth that likes soup during the summer.  I like that I only have to heat up the apartment once and then have plenty of healthy leftovers to eat without having to cook again.  I don't mind eating hot food on hot days.  Soup and watermelon go fine together, a sandwich or some chips on the side also make for a tasty lunch.  Tomato soup, chicken and rice or noodles, sausage and kale soup, whatever kind, I like them. Chowders aren't my favorite (too... stewwy), but a broccoli potato chowder can hit a sweet spot.  This weekend, chicken and rice.  Easy peasy.

I also made brownies that didn't turn out.  I'm not exactly sure what happened, but they didn't fully cook and were terribly oily.  I remembered to add eggs, but nothing held together.  That whole effort went in the trash.

Sunday included the beginnings of The Man's entry into his family's annual dessert contest that will be held next weekend.  He has a super special and moderately complicated dessert planned, so without giving much away, we'll just say that there will be no mistaking who brought that treat.  I also finished decorating my entry, an early finish to what will taste better in a week than it does currently.  Between the two of us, I think we're defending first place for the last two years, so there will be some stiff competition between us.  I know many other family members intend to bring their "A-game," so we're ready.  (And if all else fails, I'll make homemade ice cream, because really? who doesn't love homemade ice cream?)

I spent several hours Saturday invested in a new project that I hope to detail more in the next week: I'm making my own dress.  I have a hard time finding dresses that fit and are also rather modest.  A cheap pattern, some spendy fabric, and a whole lot of patience later, I have all of the pieces cut.  Perhaps in the next few evenings I'll find time to do the sewing.  I have to learn how to sew an invisible zipper, how to cut my own bias tape (from a stretchy cotton no less), how to attach pieces together around a curve, and how to make my stupid sewing machine cooperate.  It's that last part that scares me the most.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Jules said...

oh yeah! We're bringing our A Game! Miss M. has the recipe all picked out and we'll be starting any day now. Beware ;)