Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Orange Lone Star Quilt

It is finally done!  I received the pattern for this quilt not quite a year ago from my aunt.  She has been a quilter forever, and she was kind enough to send me the pattern along with a couple books from her personal quilting library.  I determined the quilt would be my next project after I finished hand-quilting my last quilt at the end of May.  Here we are, six months later, and I can say it's finished. 
The pattern is sometimes called a Lone Star Quilt, other times it is a Le Moyne Star Quilt.  I have seen them called sun bursts, star bursts, gradient stars, and other names.  My orange and black (Go Beavs!) pattern was machine pieced and machine quilted.  I purchased the fabric at the Philomath quilt store.  The wonderful ladies there were incredibly helpful with the fabric selection when I told them what it was for (so if you ever visit, don't be afraid to ask for help--unlike the big box fabric stores, these people are good).
I learned a few lessons as I was piecing this beast.  First, cut your pieces correctly.  I had all eight points pieced into blocks when I realized I'd have to tear everything apart due to incorrect cutting on my part.  Don't get me wrong, the pieces were cut perfectly.  They were just a half-inch larger in one direction than they were supposed to be, and I'm not exactly sure where that happened or how I missed it, but kicking myself and cursing myself didn't help anything, so I sat there with a seam ripper for two nights destroying my own work.  Repiecing was painful, but I made sure things were exactly correct the second time.

Lesson number two: don't rush.  Bad things happen when I rush.

And lesson number 3?  Have faith in yourself and in your project to turn out better than you ever expected.  I hoped and prayed and wondered if my five incredibly daring color choices would turn out the way I wanted, not Halloween-y or harvest-y or ugly.  I hoped for an orange star, a beautiful orange star of brilliant color and movement and blending... and it worked.  It all worked. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! I remember mom doing one for someone - I believe it was in shades of green. Congrats on your beautiful work - albeit machine quilted!!

Marilyn

Anonymous said...

You did good, Sissy! Your Aunt would be so happy for you! I can't wait for your next project, especially since I just picked out all the fabric! (posted by a proud Mommy)

AJ said...

Beautiful!!! I am starting a Lone Star soon and think yours is gorgeous! Well done!