Thursday, January 05, 2012

Resolululutions

I am not a New Year Resolution kind of person.  It always seems silly to me to start something just because it is a new year.  Why not start losing weight right when you think about it rather than on January first?  "Oh this year I will look great in a bikini!"  Um, probably not.  "This year I will stop smoking!"  I really do wish you the best of luck.  How about you stop in November or July or the rest of the year and for the rest of your life, too? "This year I will fix my marriage."  Sweetheart, if your marriage needs fixing, just fix it already.  Don't do it because it's a new year, do it because it needs doing.

That said, I took stock of the things in my life I felt could be addressed in a calendar year.  These aren't things that need to be done forever or will significantly impact my well-being.  These aren't life-changers, well not like having kids or buying houses or getting married.  These are smaller things that I just haven't been doing that I hope to work on in 2012.  For the first year in any that I can remember, I made some resolutions:

1.  I will not feel guilty for spending time on me.  I will take time to exercise and not feel guilty that it cuts into the time I am "supposed" to be cooking or cleaning.  I will take time to sew and read and play games, and if the housework isn't 100%, I will be okay with that.  I will enjoy life before I enjoy chores a bit more often than in the past.  "Supposed to" is so 2011.

2.  I will make a point to feel pretty more often.  It's actually difficult to tell people that I don't think I'm pretty.  I don't.  I'm not ugly or scary or anything, I just don't wake up in the morning, look in the mirror, and feel like I'm... pretty.  I don't wear make-up every day (once a week, maybe).  I don't dress up hardly ever.  I don't make much of an effort to feel pretty.  But I love it when I do feel good about how I look--and it's not a self-esteem problem or anything.  I know I'm amazing.  I just don't feel like I look amazing.  In 2012, I will look in the mirror and be pleased with what I see a lot more often than in the past.

3.  I will take the time to actually learn all the weird settings on my camera by using it at least twice per month.  After all of the time and money I've spent learning photography, I figure I ought to take the time to get to know the camera I'll probably be using on future children before those kids arrive.  I will take more trips to new and old locations to hone these skills.  Perhaps I will share pictures on this here bloggy.

4.  I will finish my parents' quilt by July 1.  It has been resolved.

5.  I will blog at least five times per week.  I slacked quite a bit last year on blogging, both quality and quantity. I felt like I'd run out of interesting things to say or new ways of saying the same old things.  What I've come to realize, though, is that blogging keeps me focused.  I enjoy sharing the oddities and ranty thoughts in my life--don't really enjoy the events that make me rant though--and hope others enjoy reading what I have to write.

Here's hoping I can stick with these resolutions.  I think they're do-able.  Time will tell.

2 comments:

Jules said...

feel free to use our kids as practice subjects for that camera :)

cm0978 said...

Yeah for #1 -- make time for fun while there is only the two of you! I bet the Man will agree with you on that one. Enjoy 2012.