Friday, January 06, 2012

Uselessly Useful

So there we were, driving somewhere in silence, The Man behind the wheel, and me, physically in the passenger seat but mentally on another planet.  We hadn't been able to agree on a music selection--as usual--and had given up on conversation for the time being.  I looked over at the sweet man I married with the full realization that what I was about to ask him a) came out of left field, and b) probably wouldn't be answered correctly.  The poor, poor guy.

"Hey babe?  Do you know what direction the wind comes from where we live?"

He looked back at me with a confused expression as if to say, "You are so weird!" and "What the hell do I care?" all in one look.  I wasn't phased.  I get that look a lot.

"You've lived here all your life and don't know?"  I gave away that I was testing him rather than actually asking for an answer.  He's a smart guy, but I didn't figure he'd paid any attention to the wind.  And this wind stuff was important to me as we skirted the river, though I'm not exactly sure why.

He guessed, "The south?"

"Sometimes.  But during the fall and spring it can also come from the west, and from the east during the summer, and when it comes from the north its very cold, and sometimes the rules just don't apply and we get wind from everywhere."

My verbal diarrhea of mental stew apparently found the large gap in my brain-to-mouth filter.  The Man glanced my direction, careful to keep his eyes on the road, but still managing to let me know that I'd let fly a string of trivia he'd not considered useful in the slightest.  Incredulously he asked, "Why do you remember these things?"

"Because they're stuck in my head.  They're just in there.  I don't have any control over what I remember.  I just remember everything I think might be useful later."  After all, information is only useless if you never find a use for it.

Apparently my brain needs to be featured on an episode of Hoarders.

No comments: