Friday, February 03, 2012

Home Shopping Un-network

Have you seen all the fun new things available in stores, online, and on TV?  There are miracle squeegees, tattoo-like eye shadow (apparently it won't budge even with sandblasting), and shoes that make your nether-regions do gymnastics while you run!

Too good to be true?

I admit, I get sucked in by gimmicks.  Whenever the GT Express 101 infomercial comes on, I totally watch it.  Even the semi-annoying Magic Bullet infomercial entertains me.  When we were in the cereal aisle, I feel like I just had to try out the new peanut butter Cheerios (which were delicious!).  Don't even get me started on the Windshield Wonders I've purchased recently... All of these new things are so much fun to see and experience.  And they all cost money.  I don't exactly need all of these new things either, but I feel so compelled.  Evil marketing tactics strike again!  

Recently, I've embarked on a plan to shop at home.  Not online or by phone, mind you, just at home.  We have lots of stuff sitting around that we use so rarely.  I have stockpiles of cake mixes and pasta and SodaStream flavors that haven't been touched.  That's spent money looking me in the face every time I open the cupboard.  I don't need to go to the store to try the new cashew-peanut-butter-coconut desserty thing when I can open the pantry, grab out a box of cake mix, and whip out Chocolate Crinkles or cake pops or just plain cake.  I have some stuff that I'm sure I've completely forgotten about by now that needs to be used or it will go bad.  No sense bringing home more new stuff to do the same thing.

I'm shopping my make-up at home, too.  After taking time to clean my brushes at least once a month and sanitizing all of my powdered make-up, I have clean-as-new stuff sitting there ready to use.  Packs of eyeshadow forgotten at the bottom of my drawer has been resurfaced.  Colors have been shifted around to force me into new habits and routines.

Craft items?  Oh my, I had no idea how creative I could be until I forced myself to say "no more" to buying new things until some old stuff disappeared.

It's not that we're not shopping still, oh nothing of the sort.  We still need fresh foods and clothes and all those other things people replace, replenish, or just need to get (shampoo, toothpaste, etc.).  I don't know if I'm actually saving money by passing up good bulk sales to shop at home, but it does feel nice to not throw things--my money--away.

No comments: