Wednesday, February 22, 2012

So Much for Relaxing

When my husband is out of town, I try to stay as busy as possible so that the time passes quickly.  He was gone last week on a business trip, and I managed to not get too scared at night while home alone.  I'm great during the day, but nights aren't so fun.

He arrived home late Friday night, so we tried to spend lots of time together over the weekend.  We had a visit from my parents, and then we went to his mom's college graduation party on Sunday.  When we weren't cleaning or visiting, we were watching movies and catching up on little projects.

I took last night away from my blog in order to do some serious cooking.  In one evening I managed to throw together homemade chicken pot pies and a crock pot of jambalaya for tonight.  I sort of invented the pot pies as I went, so I don't have a recipe for those.  The pie crusts were from the store.  I only used carrots, celery, onion, a little bit of corn, and chicken in mine since that's what I wanted.  The "soup" part is just cornstarch-thickened chicken stock.  Spices included pepper, garlic salt, and parsley.

For the jambalaya, I used a recipe that a friend gave me.  I put chicken, andouille sausage, celery, bell pepper, tomato sauce, chicken broth, parsley, thyme, cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and onion in a crock pot, then shoved that in the bottom of my fridge.  When I got up this morning, I grabbed it out, stuck it in the crock pot heater thingy, and went to work.  When I got home, I added the shrimp and made rice to go with the jambalaya.  Easy peasy!

In other news, I got a new keyboard and mouse for my laptop.  As much as I've tried using the touchpad on Lappy, I just can't take it for extended gaming sessions of The Sims.  You did read that correctly, I play The Sims.  I installed the game plus all of its expansion packs recently, so now I have something to do in addition to quilting, movies, the piano, and all of my other fun things to do.  The computer runs so fast, and the game is a breeze to play compared to how it was on the first computer I played those games.

That about sums up the last five days.  I'm exhausted.  My Kindle is calling...

No comments: