Friday, March 30, 2012

Reliving the '80s

I'm a child of the 1980s by birth, but since I really don't remember the '80s, I consider myself a child of the '90s.  I remember more about Saved By The Bell and ABC's TGIF than I do New Kids on the Block.  I had LA Gear shoes and a few Lisa Frank school supplies (not nearly enough to rocket me into the "cool" kid category, however).  Neon colors and baggy shirts had mostly faded by the time I was in school, thankfully.  I don't even remember the end of the Cold War, seeing that Sesame Street was much higher on my radar at the time.

I've been watching some old TV shows lately on Hulu.com.  I am riding through 21 Jump Street right now and plan to get through Doogie Howser M.D. next.  I actually remember watching Doogie when I was little, but I wasn't enough into boys yet to realize just how cute Neil Patrick Harris was.  I was certainly too young for Johnny Depp in 21 Jump Street, but I'm making up for lost time there.

What makes me giggle while watching these old shows is the complete lack of any technology, or what I consider to be "tech-y."  The kids listen to records or cassettes.  They watch movies from tapes, and when they pause a tape, the lines appear on the screen just like they did for me in grade school.  Classroom scenes include a reel projector, something I just barely remember.  Chalkboards are slate tiles.  I could go on and on about the cars, the language trends, and the colors.

Aside from these shows being good, they're fun to go back and watch just to laugh at the way things used to be.  They're sort of a fossil, if that's possible.  I am planning a long, quiet weekend to relive the '80s.  Quick, somebody get me my crimping iron!

No comments: