Monday, April 30, 2012

Meal Plan Redux

I have been meal planning for over two years now, so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what we eat, what we get tired of often, and what meals end up never being cooked.  Let's just say I can pretty much laminate my two-week grocery shopping list since it changes so little.

When The Man was gone earlier this month, I fell out of the habit of cooking each night.  I was mentally in a bit of a funk and didn't really want to cook for one all week, so I ate out more than I should have.  Okay, I ate out every night for one week.  And it was all crap food.  And now my body is in pure revolt.

The human body was not designed to exist on fast food.  Lesson learned.  Again.

Over the weekend, The Man and I sat down together and planned both lunch and dinner meals for this week.  He usually doesn't participate much in the process, but I think he has a better understanding of how difficult it is for me to plan meals around our schedules and food preferences.  We even worked it so that we have hot lunch leftovers most days of the week.  That means we don't have to buy bread or lunch meat, unhealthy crackers and chips, or other not good food.

Last night included turkey and rice soup, homemade bread rolls, and these delicious cookies (sub rice or oat flour and add an egg or ground flax seeds to make them gluten-free).

Monday: Chicken Parmesan (g-f pasta, baked chicken without breading)
Tuesday: Pork chops, green beans/peas, and hominy
Wednesday: Shoyu Chicken and rice with steamed broccoli
Thursday: Homemade pizza
Friday: Fish sticks and rice (The Man's night to cook this week)

Our Wednesday lunches are the only non-leftovers, so I'll probably reheat Sunday night's last bowl of leftover soup.  The Man can take a frozen meal or eat out.  Making food in the evenings and knowing it will make four meals means we have to watch our portions in the evenings in order to have food for lunch the next day.

I can't say I've failed at meal planning, because that's not the case.  I just started over.  I dug deeper.  I found a new system that also works.  Now if only I could get The Man to cook all of these meals...


No comments: