Monday, April 09, 2012

A Wild Hair, er, Nail

I'm four out of five on my 2012 resolutions, blogging being the one taking a back seat.  I've made some progress using my camera often, but most of it has been for work and won't be published on this blog.  I have been making slow--very slow--progress on my quilt project.  And I've definitely been taking some serious time out for me this year.

I get a wild hair every once in a while to do something out of the ordinary.  Like, completely random decisions. My most recent one shocked even me!  I painted my fingernails.  To the average woman, that's not a big deal at all.  Lots of women paint their nails.  But, as with last month's hair dying incident, these are firsts for me.

Okay, that's not really fair, I've had my nails painted before, but I was probably thirteen years old and physically restrained at the time.  I've never been a fan of polish, especially that sensation of wet peanut butter stuck to my nails that doesn't wash off.  The colors have always been a hideous shade of dusty pink, an obnoxious goopy metallic red, or an abomination of taupe and peach that screams "off-Band-aid" more than neutral nude.

So when I was getting the wild hair to paint my nails, suffice it to say I was shocked at myself.

I obviously had no polish sitting at home.  I didn't even know which brands were still available.  I researched nail polish for several hours before I found a brand sold locally that had a good reputation.  Also, I called my very in-the-know sister for advice (physically I realize we're sisters, but sometimes I really do think we came from different parents).  She gave me a wonderful crash-course in all things nail polish over the phone.  Thankfully my research agreed with what she told me, and I walked armed with knowledge and a good idea of what I wanted.  Three stores later, I had purchased two colors of polish, a base coat, and a top coat, along with some orange sticks (that aren't orange or have anything to do with oranges), and some flowery decal thingies.

Some hours later, I had managed to get my left hand coated in five layers of base, polish, and top coats with minimal smudging or streaking.  I then utilized my less-than-helpful left hand to lob polish in the general direction of my right hand.  Another two hours later, I had ten fingernails painted Essie Turquoise and Caicos green.

We're now almost three days later, and I have yet to put a single chip or smudge in them.  I'm slowly getting used to seeing color on the ends of my fingers, and the wet peanut butter sensation has lessened somewhat.

I still don't know what wild hair caused me to do this, but I sort of like it.  Well, I don't like it enough to pay some foreign lady in a nail shop $50 to do this to me... the stench of those places alone turns me off.  But at-home manicures aren't so bad after all.

No comments: