Monday, July 02, 2012

Lemon Love

The Man and I are tech-savvy when it comes to our finances.  We manage our bank information online, handle our investments and watch stocks online, and keep a very detailed budget using both Excel and EEBA (which we absolutely love).  The only thing we don't do electronically is keep receipts.  At the end of every month, we gather up all of our paper receipts, compare them to our bank statement, and then file the pile in a folder.  As you can imagine, this folder isn't the most neat and compact.  Try as I might, it just ends up looking like I threw everything in there haphazardly.  It's ugly.  Also, do I really need to keep the receipt from Safeway showing I bought a donut, a box of Kleenex, and five apples last February?  Probably don't need it.

We researched high and low to find some sort of receipt scanning software.  The software that comes with the fancy receipt scanners costs a fortune.  There are some options that would allow us to use our own scanner, but that would take forever each month to scan all of our receipts.  Finally we landed on an app called Lemon that would allow us to take pictures of our receipts using our smartphones, "scan" them, and auto-fill our budget information.  However, unlike EEBA, the app can't be shared among users without paying for the service, and we can't make any reports without also paying for the app.  The receipts are difficult to read after taking a picture of them.  I still don't feel comfortable throwing away my paper receipts using this service.  And the Lemon service couldn't even read my receipt from a very large fast food chain.  I had the app on my phone a grand total of six hours before I decided it wasn't the right software for us.

Since I am a bit anal about some things, I didn't want to download the app, open an account, delete the app, and then have an account sitting out there open.  It's not like they even had any personal information, but it's
just a thing I'm not comfortable leaving out there. I tried to delete the account myself, but they wanted an e-mail telling them to delete the account instead. Below is the exchange between the very nice Lemon people and myself.
Hi Lemons,
Please delete the account associated with user "Jaggy." I have decided that your service does not fit my needs and will no longer be using Lemon to assist with my budget and financial planning. While our relationship was short--a one-night stand perhaps, know that I do appreciate your service and might refer you to friends that want a basic tool for paperless receipts. It's not you, it's me. You'll find someone better.
Squeeze on without me,
Jaggy

And the reply from The Lemon Team:

Thank you for trying Lemon and thank you for the very fun and thoughtful feedback. We really appreciate it. I have submitted your account to be deleted.
Regards,
Bru
Apparently I have too much time on my hands... 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My brother suggested I would possibly like this web
site. He was once entirely right. This submit actually
made my day. You can not believe simply how so much
time I had spent for this information! Thanks!
Also visit my web-site : Scott Tucker Kansas City