Monday, November 05, 2012

29 and Counting

I celebrated my 29th birthday this weekend, and while I didn't get to eat any cake, I had a great birthday.

Last weekend was hectic with my sister and brother-in-law moving in with us.  That's right, we have roommates now!  My sister is leaving for the Air Force at the end of the month, and we offered to have her husband stay with us while she's in Basic and her technical school.  She will be back with us for a couple weeks in March, 2013, and then they will both move out to wherever she gets stationed.  They get to save on paying rent, and we get a little help with the food costs and utilities.  Plus my brother-in-law isn't from this area and will be more connected to people by staying with us.  He and The Man are both videogamers, so they get along famously (and I still have my quiet time for crafting or TV!).  This past week has been crazy as we all settle into new spaces and roles.

My sister joined The Man and me as we ventured to Woodburn to the outlet mall.  Visits to Columbia, Jockey, UnderArmour, and Eddie Bauer proved fruitful.  The Man got a wonderful winter coat for a third of the original price, and I scored two more fleeces to keep me warm until June.  We also visited Ulta in Keizer Station where my sister downloaded her brain full of beauty product information to me.  I learned a lot and bought an eyeshadow palette that I think I will really like.

After shopping until we dropped, we went out to dinner with my parents to The Depot.  I haven't been there in years, but it hasn't changed much.  The food was amazing.  I had a small shrimp plate and substituted in clam chowder instead of the fries.  My four panko breaded shrimp were perfect, and the little pink shrimpies on the salad were delicious.  I'm usually not a chowder fan, but theirs was the best I've ever had.  It wasn't gooey or snotty in texture, more of a creamy stew, and the clams weren't as chewy as others I've gagged down.  I really liked the potato chunks: done, but not overcooked.  And the appetizer of havarti cheese and crackers?  I could have died right there and been completely satisfied.  YUM!

I feel 29.  I really do.  I know we celebrated our birthdays by going to Las Vegas this year, but it was still a nice birthday at home.

Just need to get me some cake still.  Working on that...

No comments: