Thursday, November 01, 2012

I Thought Acne Stopped at Adulthood!

I admit I never learned how to take care of my skin.  Nobody told me what a t-zone was.  I didn't understand that I should keep my hands off my face.  I had no clue about drinking water and eating right and how that could effect my skin.  They didn't teach skincare in school, and I didn't want to rely on the "ancient herbal remedies" I saw online.

Before you get to thinking I'm about to tell you I have my skin all figured out, let me just put the kibosh on that now.  I don't.  But I'm learning.  That's all I can share.

Just before we went to Las Vegas last month, I finally experienced my first full week of really great skin.  I had no break-outs, no healing patches, no spots that cried out for concealer.  My makeup was flawless day after day for a week.  But then I went to the desert and had to leave a bit of my daily routine behind.  For a day or two, things were still pretty good.  By the time we got home, however, my skin had turned into this super dry nightmare of peeling skin, oil slicks of grossness, and a broken-out middle ground that I won't even get into.  I fought my skin for a week solid after we got home.

Lesson learned: Jaggy does not fare well in the desert in any way.

I have since worked and worked to be diligent in washing my face carefully and gently just once a day before bed.  I use clay masks to absorb oil once a week, toner to balance the skin, and a light moisturizer to heal dry spots.  My make-up is of good quality and gets sanitized a least weekly (except mascara which gets replaced religously every three months).  All of these things have greatly improved my skin, and I'm happy to report no new breakouts since we returned home from our vacation.

The frustrating part of this whole situation for me is that I thought acne stopped with adulthood.  I thought I was supposed to be over this frustration.  I thought I was "too old" now for major breakouts and painful zits and dry, peeling skin.  Sure the odd zit doesn't surprise me (Aunt Flo usually leaves her calling card after visiting), but this... this was unreal!

What do you do to keep your skin looking its best?  What products or techniques do you employ to heal, stabilize, or otherwise calm your skin?  And what is the weirdest thing you've ever heard to help a skin condition?

No comments: