Friday, February 22, 2013

Blogging is Scary

Not everyone in my life is aware of this blog.  It's not that I hide the fact that I'm a blogger, but sometimes I don't necessarily want everyone in my life to have quick access to my rants or beliefs or quirks.  I mean, I realize bloggy is available for anyone to read at any moment, but still, knowledge is power, right?

I find it somewhat uncomfortable to share the fact that I'm a blogger with some people.  I'm not ashamed or afraid or anything like that, but it is sort of weird to tell someone, "there's this place I go every night and write all about myself and little else, and people all over the world visit to read my thoughts."  How can I retain any sense of humility with that statement?

When I share the fact that I blog with new people, I often race back here and rethink the whole idea of blogging.  Was my latest post interesting?  Was it well written?  Did I sound intelligent and witty or rambling and incoherent?  Is this blog easy to navigate, inviting, or even slightly interesting to anyone but myself anymore?

Then, worse, I begin judging myself as I think others might.  For all of the confidence I've amassed as a blogger (writer of my own story) in the last eight years, I am always surprised at the speed with which I doubt my ability here.  I can do this.  I can write.  I need to tattoo that on some part of my brain.

2 comments:

cm0978 said...

I am always interested in what you write. You have a lot of followers, so you must be doing something right (write)!

Anonymous said...

I always read your blog - one way of knowing what's going on in your part of the world since we don't get to see you both too often. But I want to see your quilt!!!! I am starting a double wedding ring - 18" circles compared to my first one of 14" circles. Went to fabric depot and overwhelmed with the amount of beautiful material. Glad I don't live near there!!
Marilyn