Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Lent 2014: No more swearing

We're about one week into Lent already, and I have been struggling with my attempt to not swear through the season.  I gave up swearing once before for Lent, and this time has proven much more difficult.

Why give up swearing?  According to the all-knowing Wikipedia, "The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer through prayer, penance, repentance of sins, almsgiving, atonement and self-denial."
Giving up swearing is, for me, a form of self-denial.  I'm denying myself the easy words, the punctuating harshness of swearing, the unkind and unnecessary vulgarity that so completely explains my thoughts from time to time.  Rather than saying these words, I'm trying my best to think of the non-swear-word versions of how I'm actually feeling.  I'm also repenting of this swearing sin and atoning for each time I slip through penance in the form of prayer.

Do I really swear a lot?  At work or in front of people that I know don't appreciate a well-placed curse word, no, absolutely not.  I am very capable of holding regular conversations without swearing or thinking about not swearing.  At home, however, The Man and I don't exactly bite our tongues.  I've been known to call our "precious" furballs every name in the book when they're being unruly.  He gets frustrated playing his video and computer games and lets it fly sometimes.  We're not trying to be insulting, we're just expressing ourselves loudly and effectively, if not politely.  We really don't swear much outside the house.

So what is allowed?  I consulted several people about what is and is not swearing for adults.  I looked back over my own childhood and what I was allowed to say at home in high school.  I talked to The Man and discovered what he got away with when he was younger.  Based on those conversations, I've decided that the following words are not offensive to the general adult population (avert your eyes if you must):

  • Fart - what else would you call it?
  • Butt - my bottom is my feet, and my rear or behind is my entire dorsal side
  • Crap
  • Ticked off
  • Darn
  • Dang it
  • Jeez
  • Jerk - although The Man argues this one is highly offensive
Do you swear?  What words or phrases do you use most that you wish you could give up?  What words are highly offensive to you?

2 comments:

cm0978 said...

I don't use words 1-3. Word #2, maybe. #1 & 3, never. Just can't say them. Skip over them when I read them. Prudish, I guess.

Too bad you can't have a jar where people put in money for every time they say "like" and "you know" -- you'd be rich.

Jules said...

Kids sure changed the way we said things. So words that even sound like cursing are not encouraged in our home, eg. 'gosh' 'shoot' and so on. We have morphed a kids word to use for our bums - "Boggum" mainly b/c it's much more fun to say.
Fart just sounds crass and so we say 'gas' b/c really, that's what it is.
And I sure like cm's idea of the money for "like" used out of context. Drives me crazy!