Friday, October 30, 2015

Six months of housewifery: a review

I've officially been a housewife for almost six months. The time has absolutely whistled by, and I couldn't be happier with this new life. Not a single complaint. The Man is equally enjoying the fact that I'm not saying "I just need a day off!" anymore, nor has he had to endure my monologues about how terrible my day was or how a few of my coworkers are the Most Annoying People Ever. I have accomplished a ton, have plans for so much more, and can't wait to get out of bed every morning to work on whatever is before me.

There have been challenging moments, whether due to financial strain from learning to live without my income or due to my new-found penchant for sleeping until 9:00am (bad! must stop!). We found ways to cut costs, and I am trying to go to bed more consistently before midnight.

There are frustrating moments as I tackle more projects at home. There are moments when I just don't want to clean or cook. There are whole days when I sit down to do one thing and never get to anything else. But there's always tomorrow.

I think that's the biggest lesson I've learned so far. Cleaning doesn't have to happen right now. I can spend the whole weekend being instead of doing. I can be with friends or family, not worried about when I'm going to clean the shower. I can be crafty, not stuck in thought about what to make for dinner. My weekends are free, my mind is free, and those things make me very happy.

The biggest comment I get now is, "I wish I could do that too!" When I mention that they'd have to give up their income and benefits, most people think twice. It's a tough but wonderful life as a housewife. I feel more myself now than ever before.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Amen! Preach it sister!